Today more than ever, having a good stress management program can be essential to your personal growth and well-being. The World Health Organization (WHO) has deemed stress to be “the health epidemic of the 21st century” . While stress is a normal human reaction that affects everyone from time to time, chronic stress is a killer as it is linked to health problems such as high blood pressure, poor sleep, digestive issues, a weakened immune system, and mental health conditions such as anxiety and depression – all of which can lead to a variety of devastating illnesses .
Luckily, there are many resources you can utilize to help combat stress and the havoc it wreaks on your mind, body, and spirit. In this comparison guide, we’ve outlined a list of five courses that will teach you methods for reducing stress and creating a life that feels calm and balanced.
Keep reading if you want to hear our verdict and find out which of these courses might be most suitable for your personal needs and situation.
This Article Contains
- Types of Stress Management Programs
- 5 Best Online Stress Management Programs
- Our Verdict – Importance Of Self-Care
Types Of Stress Management Programs
Essentially, a stress management program teaches you how to handle personal and/or workplace stress in a way that is beneficial to your overall well-being. There are many different types of programs and courses out there that can help you effectively manage stress – from self-study courses to in-person classes to online programs. Some focus on stress in your personal life including family relationships, marriage, and friendships. Others concentrate more on employee health and the challenges caused by a toxic workplace culture or negative office morale. And there are even some programs that deliberately focus on personal well-being and employee health at the same time.
Because everyone responds differently to stress, there are many different ways you can choose to manage it, and not every type of stress management will suit your needs. Some people benefit most from mindfulness-based stress reduction , while others find physical-based approaches like muscle relaxation most helpful . There are also mental health services that are effective in stress reduction, like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), that can help you change your relationship with negative thinking, which in turn increases your resilience to stress .
It’s essential to consider the fact that different methods will suit some people better than others. Keeping this in mind, we’ve comprised a list of five great stress management programs that incorporate various methods for reducing stress and boosting mental health.
5 Best Online Stress Management Programs – A Brief Comparison
Apart from our own stress management program listed below, we are not affiliated with the following courses in any way and do not receive any sort of compensation for mentioning them.
Not all stress management training programs are built alike, and all of these programs have impressive pros as well as some cons to take into consideration.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when deciding which program might work best for you:
- The areas of your life where you are struggling with stress
- How well-versed you already are in stress-relief techniques
- How much time you can dedicate to your stress management program.
Without further ado, here are the five best online programs to help you manage stress and boost your mental health.
With 88 lectures in total, emotional intelligence coach and trainer Robin Hills concentrates on emotional intelligence and psychological well-being to reduce stress and improve employee health. This course focuses particularly on workplace stress and can help you whether you are in an unhealthy workplace culture, dealing with difficult co-workers, or if you are a boss with many employees to manage. Robin explains that how you cope with job stress and the anxieties of life is dependent on how you use your emotions.
- Designed so you can work on your stress management at your own pace
- Helps you tackle stress through understanding emotional intelligence
- Includes practical activities on the topics of resilience, optimism, and changing your perspective on stress.
- The stress management program aims to reduce workplace stress, which may not be as useful if your mental health issues are specific to your personal life.
A list of great stress management training programs wouldn’t be complete without mentioning our own online course. 30 Days Of Simple Self-Care: Managing Stress is a self-paced online course designed by professional educators and personal development specialists. With easy-to-follow practices, this stress management program helps you to introduce and incorporate self-care into your daily routine so that you can either prevent stress and burnout before it starts or reverse its effects when you’re already feeling burned out.
The idea behind this course is that making time for simple self-care practices allows you to preserve your energy and develop your resilience towards stress. The program provides activities, tools, and professionally-curated meditations for relieving tension in your mind and body while acting as a road map for supporting your health and well-being in the long term.
- Includes 30 meaningful units (or 150 lessons) paired with simple practices you can easily incorporate into your life
- Is a comprehensive program that helps you manage stress levels affected by workplace stress as well as personal stress
- Helps you incorporate healthy coping techniques that will combat chronic stress and boost your mental and physical health
- Utilizes a multi-faceted approach to stress management through daily practices, reflections, and professionally-curated meditations.
- Utilizes simple meditation techniques and breathing exercises which may feel foreign at first if you have never practiced them before.
The Stress to Joy course, created by Dr. Rozina Lakhani, was developed to help you recognize when you are in a state of stress so that you can utilize proven stress management techniques that will help you return to a state of balance and calm. For 20 minutes a day, this 21-day stress management program uses videos and worksheets meant to change your perspective of extremely stressful events so that you can therefore change your response to them. The course also touches on emotional eating, stress-related sleep issues, improving relationships, and how to decrease feelings of frustration.
- Created by a board-certified psychiatrist and bestselling author who specializes in stress management
- Only requires 20 minutes a day
- Received the seal of approval from The American Institute of Stress.
- The price is quite steep, which may be a turnoff for those on a budget.
Designed by a personal development coach and acupressure specialist, this stress management training teaches you to reduce stress through natural methods like meditation, acupressure, aromatherapy, music, and supplements. The course also helps you learn how to relax in highly stressful situations you may face either in the workplace, your relationships, or in your daily life. With clear, specific instructions on utilizing breathing techniques and acupressure points, you can begin to incorporate these natural techniques even if you have no prior experience with them.
- Offers many different techniques for combating stress
- Provides clear instructions on how to use the techniques to improve your day-to-day stress management
- Details methods for handling stress in specific situations (i.e., at work, before bed, feeling under pressure, etc.).
- Offers so many different techniques that it may feel overwhelming trying to decide what works best for you.
Designed by a board-certified music therapist specializing in mental health, Resilience Over Burnout is comprised of eight modules with video lessons, self-reflection exercises, and guided meditations designed to improve your mental health by helping you manage your stress response. The modules consist of topics like creating a safe space for self-care, symptoms of burnout and how to prevent it, and how to create a healthy work/life balance.
- In addition to the online modules, the program also includes access to a meditation library
- Offers monthly coaching calls where you can ask questions and get support in real-time
- Is a self-paced course.
- The price for this stress management program is relatively high and may not be affordable for most people.
Our Verdict – Importance Of Self-Care
These programs are great options for reducing stress and improving your mental health. For those interested in reducing workplace stress to improve employees’ health, How to Develop Emotional Resilience to Manage Stress by Robin Hills might be the best option.
If you are looking for a comprehensive list of techniques that will help you reduce stress naturally, Stress Management Techniques: How to Reduce Stress Naturally by Ken Wells and Jacob Bargak will give you some great ideas to test out and see what works for you.
And if you only have 20 minutes a day to dedicate to your stress management and don’t mind spending them watching videos and filling in worksheets, Transforming Stress to Joy by the American Institute of Stress might be the right choice for you.
But from our perspective, the most crucial aspect of personal maintenance and stress management is self-care, as it helps to prevent and combat stress in a way that is tailored to your individual needs and circumstances.
The two best courses for those who like to learn how to manage stress through simple self-care and mindfulness techniques are Ami Kunimura’s and Dr. Anneke Schmidt’s online programs. However, while Kunimura’s Resilience Over Burnout certainly helps you release stress and prevent burnout by engaging in preventative care, the price for this program is steep and may not be affordable for some.
Therefore, we suggest choosing 30 Days Of Simple Self-Care: Managing Stress as a more affordable alternative for those on a budget. Not only does it boast a range of similar features like daily lessons and guided meditations, it also provides extra resources that will enhance your self-care journey, including self-care sessions, journaling prompts, and positive affirmations.
The Bottom Line
Whether you are suffering due to relationship problems, work stress, or health issues, stress can cause many mental and physical problems that upend your life. The stress management courses we’ve reviewed are all helpful in reducing stress and burnout.
Whether you just want to have an arsenal of stress-reduction techniques on hand like the ones found in Stress Management Techniques: How to Reduce Stress Naturally by Ken Wells and Jacob Bargak, or if you are looking for an affordable in-depth road map that will help you easily develop a stress-resilient lifestyle like 30 Days Of Simple Self-Care: Managing Stress by Dr. Anneke Schmidt, these programs will give you the tools you need to feel calm, balanced, and empowered to handle any situation that life throws your way.