Last Updated on February 1, 2024 by Anneke Schmidt, PhD
As the demand for personal online learning and employee training continues to grow, course creators and L&D professionals need to think of innovative ways to promote eLearning courses and EdTech software. Content marketing is an excellent way to do this, as it allows you to develop engaging and educational content that will attract potential students and help drive traffic to your eLearning solutions. But how do you create content marketing campaigns that will actually have an impact?
We’ve compiled a list of nine actionable tips to give you an overview of the best content marketing options for online course creators. So, keep reading to find out how to market online courses effectively and drive more students to your eLearning offers, using high-quality content as your main driving force.
1. Identify Your Audience and Speak Their Language
The eLearning industry is highly competitive, and marketing your content to the wrong people can be a costly mistake. That’s why it’s essential to understand your target audience by discovering their language, interests, pain points, and needs.
One way to do this is to create buyer personas or detailed profiles of your ideal customer. A buyer persona could be as complex and creative as a fictional character with a name, age, job title, etc. Or it could be a simple list of attributes based on demographic, psychographic, and geographic data.
This helps you to understand who your potential customers are and what type of content will resonate with them – in short, it allows you to speak their language.
- Research your target audience and identify audience segments.
- Create buyer personas based on your market research.
- Identify your audience’s interests and needs.
- Use their language when creating relevant content.
2. Connect With Your Learners on Social Media
Another content marketing strategy for promoting eLearning courses is to take advantage of social media channels. Platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube are all excellent ways to engage with potential students and build brand awareness.
By creating social media posts with videos, infographics, memes, and other visuals, you can capture the attention of potential learners and share helpful information. In addition, you can interact with your existing customers, provide support, share positive reviews from satisfied current learners, and respond to your followers’ queries.
This allows you to build trust and create a more personal connection with your brand, which makes it easier to promote new courses.
- Research the social media platforms your audience uses.
- Create visuals and content tailored to your personal brand identity.
- Connect with existing customers and provide support.
- Demonstrate your value through useful social content.
3. Blog About Industry Topics Relevant to Your eLearning Course
You may have heard the phrase “blogging is dead,” but this couldn’t be further from the truth. Although blogging practices have changed over the years (e.g., shorter posts, more visuals), blog posts remain essential to any content marketing strategy.
When it comes to selling online courses, blogging can help you establish thought leadership and position yourself as an expert in the field. Plus, by covering topics relevant to your courses, you can demonstrate the value of your course content and give potential learners an insight into what they can expect.
But the most important benefit of blogging is still search engine optimization (SEO). Every blog post offers another opportunity to rank higher in Google, making it easier for potential students to find your eLearning courses.
- Research keywords related to your eLearning courses and industry.
- Analyze search engine rankings and search intent for relevant keywords.
- Create blog content that answers the intent behind those keywords.
- Optimize blog posts for search engine visibility.
4. Publish eBooks and White Papers for Lead Generation
As an eLearning provider, you should also consider publishing eBooks and white papers as a way to generate leads. These pieces of long-form content can provide in-depth information about your eLearning solutions, making them an effective lead-generation tool.
For instance, a white paper addressing a particular challenge related to one of your areas of expertise can help you reach thought leadership status and become a trusted source of knowledge for your audience.
If offered as free downloads on your website, white papers and eBooks become powerful lead magnets, with which you can capture the contact information of potential customers and grow your email list.
- Brainstorm topics for eBooks and white papers related to your eLearning solutions.
- Create a compelling lead-capture form on your website to encourage eBook downloads
- Include links to your eLearning courses and other products/services within the eBook/white paper.
- Promote the eBook on your website, blog, and social media channels to increase reach.
5. Invest in Email Marketing and Newsletters
If you want to promote your eLearning course effectively, email marketing and newsletters are a must. Email marketing allows you to connect directly with your audience and build long-term relationships with them.
By creating an email list of potential students, you can send regular updates on new eLearning courses or content related to your course offers. You could also use email campaigns to provide discounts and special offers, such as a free mini course or micro-learning unit, to capture the attention of new online learners.
But remember, the two most important elements of email marketing are an engaging subject line and a clear call to action (CTA). The former should be catchy and attention-grabbing, while the latter should clearly explain what the email recipient should do next, like clicking the link to check out your online course or EdTech solution.
- Use a lead magnet to collect email addresses of potential students.
- Test different email subject lines and calls to action.
- Offer discounts and freebies that may be of interest to your learners.
- Develop email marketing funnels to nurture and convert leads.
6. Host Public Webinars Related to Your Online Courses
Next on the list of eLearning marketing strategies are webinars. These events can be used to provide valuable information and give a sneak peek into what your courses have to offer. Webinars are a great opportunity to demonstrate the value of your course content and engage with potential students.
But don’t fall into the sales trap – webinars should focus on teaching and relationship building, not pitching! There is nothing more off-putting for webinar attendees than feeling like they’re being sold to.
So, make sure to create webinars that are packed with useful information and engaging activities. Like with social and blog content – webinars are all about giving, not taking.
- Brainstorm webinar topics related to your eLearning solutions.
- Promote webinars on social media, email newsletters, and your blog.
- Invite webinar attendees to ask questions and start conversations.
- Follow up with your attendees to encourage course enrollment.
7. Make Use of PR and Media Outreach
In addition to the marketing efforts mentioned above, you can use PR and media outreach to promote your eLearning courses. This includes reaching out to journalists, bloggers, influencers, and other news outlets to highlight your eLearning course offerings and increase visibility.
Positive press coverage can do wonders for your brand recognition and help you reach potential students who may need to be made aware of your eLearning solutions.
But remember – PR doesn’t happen overnight! You must consistently craft quality and engaging content, pitch it to the right people, and follow up with them several times.
- Research relevant press outlets, influencers, and bloggers in your industry.
- Craft press releases for key announcements related to your eLearning courses.
- Create an ongoing media outreach strategy, pitching stories and content regularly.
- Follow up with press contacts to get visibility for your marketing messages.
Struggling to navigate the complexities of SEO?
Without a clear roadmap, you might miss key optimization steps, leading to lower search rankings and reduced organic traffic. But it doesn’t have to be this way. Discover the power of a comprehensive, interactive SEO checklist – a dynamic resource that allows you to track progress and adapt strategies easily.
From precise keyword research to advanced off-page strategies, this editable checklist ensures nothing is overlooked. Stop the guesswork, enhance your site’s performance, and watch your traffic grow.
Download your free, interactive SEO guide today and transform your website’s future.
8. Leverage User-Generated Content To Drive Traffic
Another content marketing tip: don’t forget to take advantage of user-generated content (UGC) to boost engagement and drive traffic to your eLearning platform.
UGC is a powerful tool for connecting with potential students and engaging them in the learning process. You can use it to create a sense of community and get people excited about your courses.
For instance, ask your students to post their experiences with the course, share their results, and talk about how the learning has benefited them. You can also run contests, quizzes, and other activities that encourage users to engage with your content.
- Incorporate user-generated content into your marketing strategy.
- Encourage customers to share their stories and experiences related to your eLearning courses.
- Provide incentives for users who share your course content with their networks.
- Include UGC in your blog posts and other content pieces.
9. Collaborate With Online Course Experts in Your Industry
And finally, remember to leverage the power of meaningful collaboration. Finding partners and influencers in your industry can help you reach a wider audience with your eLearning solutions and boost engagement.
For instance, you can work with well-known experts in your field to co-create content and attract more attention to your offerings. Or, you could team up with other online instructors and eLearning professionals to develop courses that complement each other and have a more significant impact.
Ultimately, collaborations should be mutually beneficial. So, before you reach out to a potential partner, make sure you can provide something of value in return.
- Reach out to potential partners and experts in your industry.
- Look for opportunities to collaborate on events, webinars, and other activities.
- Run joint promotions with partners who have the same goals as you.
- Explore ways to create content that leverages each other’s strengths.
The Bottom Line
These are the most important content marketing tactics you can use to promote your eLearning solutions, drive traffic to your course sales page, and attract future students. The key to successful online course promotion is to create high-quality and inspiring content that adds value to your audience and helps them solve their day-to-day challenges. So, get creative and experiment with different marketing ideas to maximize your reach and engagement.
Need your website to do more for you? At Skill & Care, I provide expert Copywriting, Content Strategy, and SEO Services to help you communicate your message with clarity, confidence, and expertise. Let’s work together to create content that resonates and ranks. Explore my services today, and see how the right words in the right place can make all the difference.